What is your dream? What are your dreams? or maybe, what can you consider as a dream? When I mention the word 'DREAM' what comes into your mind? To do what you love? To be able to fulfill your passion? To be a billionaire? To leave a legacy?
According to John C. Maxwell(Source: http://www.success.com/article/what-is-your-dream), there are many wrong identified dreams which are:
1. Daydreams - Distractions from current work
2. Pie-in-the-Sky Dreams - Wild ideas with no strategy or basis in reality
3. Bad Dreams - Worries that breed fear and paralysis
4. Idealistic Dreams - The way the world would be if YOU were in charge
5. Romantic Dreams - Belief that some person will make you happy
6. Career Dreams - Belief that career success will make you happy
7. Destination Dreams - Belief that a position, title or award will make you happy
8. Material Dreams - Belief that wealth or possessions will make you happy
You must be thinking, WHAT? According to John C, these arent good dreams? Yes bcos -
Good dreams must be the valid ones worthy of a person's life.
A dream is an inspiring picture of the future that energizes your mind, will and emotions, empowering you to do EVERYTHING YOU CAN to achieve it.
Honestly, Im one of those that somehow lost my dream along the way...
Ive been thinking the whole noon - and its true to ask yourself these questions. It helps to identify and strengthen your dreams.
1. What are your core values?
What are the values you keep as your life motto? What are the values you belief and you placed it at the centre of your life? What truly makes you happy? What gives you satisfaction? What makes you angry? What makes you upset? What makes you disappointed? Where is your border line? What are your limits? I've been asking myself and writing down a list of answers... but this doesn't immediately help to discover your dream isnt it?
2. What are your talents and gift do you think you have? (//spiritual gifts)
What are the things that you enjoy doing? What gives you enthusiasm even without the need of others pushing you? Is there a certain feeling that you feel more than others do? What gives you satisfaction? Is it when you help someone in need? Or is it when you accomplished something big? Think. It is important to understand yourself because if you yourself don't, who else will? Remember, no one knows your God gifted talent better than yourself.
3. What are the past experiences (be it good or the bad) that will help you in your future road ahead?
From your family, relationships, studies, career, what are the things you will never forget for the rest of your lives? That impacted you the most? Do you think your experience can help others? If yes, who? If yes, when? If yes, how? If yes, are you ready?
I used to think dreams are all about money.
When you have money, you can buy love for your family. You bring them overseas, you spent good times with them at the most luxury places.
When you have money, you can help the poor. You can do whatever charity you want to help the people in need.
When you have money, you can multiply your wealth. You can invest in stock markets, or build more businesses to help the unemployed and to help the economy.
Of course, you need money to fulfill your dream. But now I don't believe that dreams are equivalent to money anymore because life can give you so much more than what money can't give :) Well don't ask me whats my dream but I know the basic to even have a dream, is to fully utilize my gifts and talent to discover my life purpose.
Have fun, dreaming!